Morning fire heavily damages West Albany apartment complex - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Morning fire heavily damages West Albany apartment complex

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Large bee hive being relocated from Valdosta business

    Large bee hive being relocated from Valdosta business

    Thursday, August 21 2014 4:09 PM EDT2014-08-21 20:09:36 GMT
    The bees have made a hive inside an exterior wall at the back of The Snake Pit and a bee keeper has set up a box on the outside of the wall next to the hive to collect the bees and has been working to relocate the bees for past couple of months.More >>
    The bees have made a hive inside an exterior wall at the back of The Snake Pit and a bee keeper has set up a box on the outside of the wall next to the hive to collect the bees and has been working to relocate the bees for past couple of months.
    More >>
  • Phoebe holds blood drive Thursday

    Phoebe holds blood drive Thursday

    Thursday, August 21 2014 3:11 PM EDT2014-08-21 19:11:37 GMT
    (Phoebe Putney)(Phoebe Putney)
    The gift of life is priceless and it is a gift that many can give Thursday, at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital. Phoebe's current drive is part of an ongoing effort to encourage all who qualify to give blood.More >>
    The gift of life is priceless and it is a gift that many can give Thursday, at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital. Phoebe's current drive is part of an ongoing effort to encourage all who qualify to give blood.More >>
  • Lee Co. family offers reward for missing jewelry

    Lee Co. family offers reward for missing jewelry

    Thursday, August 21 2014 3:06 PM EDT2014-08-21 19:06:24 GMT
    A Lee County family is offering a reward tonight to catch a thief they say stole thousands of dollars worth of jewelry from their home.More >>
    A Lee County family is offering a reward tonight to catch a thief they say stole thousands of dollars worth of jewelry from their home.More >>

By Jim Wallace - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - A man driving by saw smoke billowing from the apartment building at 1624 Maryland Avenue about 9:00 and called 911.

Alfreda Wilder was not home when the fire broke out in her apartment. Firefighters say the blaze was started by the electric water heater which was completely surrounded by piled up items.

The water heater overheated and set those materials on fire. Fire Chief James Carswell says the fire could have caused more damage if it had not been spotted quickly.

"Much worse. Nobody was home at the time of the fire. It was kind of isolated back in the back. So it probably would have done a lot more damage if he hadn't saw it," Carswell said.

Firefighters say the fire damaged two units and caused an estimated $30,000 in damage.

Feedback


©2009 WALB News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.