Red Lobster workers cope with co-worker's death -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Red Lobster workers cope with co-worker's death

By Wainwright Jeffers - bio | email

February 09, 2009

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - The sudden death of a loved one understandably greatly affects their family.

But the people they work with also grieve.

After the death of 27-year old Antwan Newsome in a terrible wreck Friday, his fellow team members at Red Lobster wanted to help the family.

Newsome died when his Lincoln Town Car was hit head-on, on the Oakridge Bridge on Friday morning.

"Friday morning was a very difficult day for my crew, me and the other managers," said Kimberlyn Pettway, General Manager Red Lobster.

"It was hard I just kind of screamed out because, the majority of the staff; being that I've worked here so long they're like my children," said Cassandra Floyd, Service Manager Red Lobster.

They call him Twan at Red Lobster where he worked as a certified grill master.

"Everybody goes back and give a hug to the guys in the kitchen and usually Twan will give you a hug," said Floyd.

His fellow co-workers wanted to assist the family with burial expenses.

"What we did was assisted in setting up a burial fund, it's a Bank of America under Antwan Newsome burial fund," said Pettway.

Red Lobster will also assist the family through their own fund for events like Friday's tragic accident.

Allow for lesser financial burden on families during such times.

"A really fun guy and really proud of his work, and all the beautiful food that came out Twan was one of the certified grilled masters that made it happen," said Pettway.

From now on they'll only have memories of the young man they once called a friend.

"He will be really missed, deeply missed and he's part of our Red Lobster family and we really love him," said Floyd.

They ask all donations be made at Antwan Newsome Burial Fund at Bank of America by Thursday.

Newsome's 17-year old sister, Ashley Newsome was in his car when it wrecked.

She was treated and released.

Police believe 35-year-old Cedric Ward fell asleep at the wheel and crashed into their car. He survived.


Powered by Frankly