Cold vagrants blamed for fire loss - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Cold vagrants blamed for fire loss

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

By Jim Wallace - bio | email

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Albany Firefighters ask you to watch for vagrants going into vacant homes and buildings in your neighborhood, saying they are a great fire hazard during these extremely cold nights.

Vagrants are being blamed for setting this fire just before 2:00AM that destroyed a home in the 600 block of West First Avenue.

Fire Investigators say several people had moved into this vacant house, which still had the gas and water service turned on, and they were fortunate no one was hurt in the blaze.

"It appears some vagrants had set up house in the building, and were using the heater in the building to stay warm.  And it caught bed linen on fire.  That's what started the fire," said Albany Fire Chief James Carswell.

The home was gutted by fire, and the loss is estimated at $30,000.  With temperatures forecast in the teens again,  firefighters say vagrants will be looking for shelter to stay warm, and that means fire danger from them lighting fires in vacant buildings. 

They ask if you see people in vacant homes, call 911.

Feedback

Powered by WorldNow