TIFTON- A fire at a Tifton warehouse destroyed thousands of meals destined for U.S. troops here and overseas.
The 10,000 square foot Georgia Cold Storage warehouse caught fire early Monday morning. Firefighters worked throughout the day to contain the fire and extinguish the flames. Part of the problem, 345-thousand ready to eat meals inside. They come with their own heaters, and the water from fire hoses actually ignited them.
Cold Storage Manager, Angelina Brown, said, "It's a tragic loss for us and the military, we just don't know what caused it right now."
The state fire marshal's office is investigating. They've ordered a report of all the lightning strikes in the area Monday morning to see if it might have started the blaze. Georgia cold storage's nine other buildings were unharmed and have had power turned back on.