Wednesday, June 19 2013 12:06 PM EDT2013-06-19 16:06:46 GMT
Ravi Mikel Givens was arrested Tuesday and charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. He is being held in the Dougherty County jail. Givens, who played ball at Westover and StetsonMore >>
Agents say that police responded to the apartment because of a burglar alarm. Officers found the back door broken open and went inside. That's where they detected a strong odor of marijuana, and saw pot in plain view.More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 10:16 AM EDT2013-06-19 14:16:37 GMT
Demetria Porter, charged with causing the death of Ja' Kavion Davis, appeared before a judge at the Dougherty County jail this morning to hear the charges against her. She is charged with cruelty to aMore >>
Demetria Porter, charged with causing the death of Ja' Kavion Davis, appeared before a judge at the Dougherty County jail this morning to hear the charges against her.More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 9:45 AM EDT2013-06-19 13:45:09 GMT
COLUMBUS, Ga. (AP) - About 100 soldiers are scheduled to return to Fort Benning in Georgia after a nine-month deployment to Afghanistan. The Columbus Ledger-Enquirer reports (http://bit.ly/17WfBX4) thatMore >>
About 100 soldiers are scheduled to return to Fort Benning in Georgia after a nine-month deployment to Afghanistan. The unit is made up of soldiers assigned at Fort Benning and medical personnel from throughout the Army.More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 8:49 AM EDT2013-06-19 12:49:18 GMT
By JIM KUHNHENN Associated Press BERLIN (AP) - Trying to tamp down concerns about government over-reach, President Barack Obama on Wednesday defended U.S. Internet and phone surveillance programs asMore >>
Trying to tamp down concerns about government over-reach, President Barack Obama on Wednesday defended U.S. Internet and phone surveillance programs as narrowly targeted efforts that have saved lives and thwarted at least 50 terror threats.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Eight Georgians have already died in fires already in 2009. An Albany man is still in serious condition at the Augusta Burn Center after a space heater set his house on fire last week.
Firefighters say 81-year-old James Richardson's space heater caught his bed on fire about 12:20 Tuesday, when he left it on during one of the coldest days of the year.
"He had a space heater in his bedroom. Went to take a shower. Came out of the shower, the house was on fire. He could have very easily have died," State Fire Commissioner John Oxendine said.
Knowing there will be more cold weather ahead, and more Georgians will be using space heaters for warmth, Oxendine and Albany Fire Chief James Carswell reminded South Georgians to plan ahead.
Get the right equipment to prevent a fire. Electrical space heaters should have the UL label, and you shouldn't use one with an extension cord. Use only a quality surge protector not a cheap look alike power strip.
"This is a fancy plug. It's called a power strip. It gives no protection whatsoever," Oxendine said.
Officials warn never to buy a used space heater, and only a new model kerosene heater with a battery lighter.
"You don't ever use a match to light a kerosene heater. You also don't ever pour kerosene into a kerosene heater. This is a siphon device and this is what you use to refill it," Oxendine said.
Firefighters say working smoke detectors are a necessity if you are going to use a space heater. And they urge you to go ahead and buy your heating needs ahead of time, not when the cold temperatures plunge down.
You should never put a space heater on a table and always keep a five foot area around any heater cleared to prevent fires.