Fire guts South Albany home - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire guts South Albany home

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

By Karen Cohilas - bio | email

January 21, 2009

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - A South Albany home was destroyed by fire Thursday morning and investigators say it was arson. A couch was set on fire in this house on Burke Avenue.

Witnesses saw a woman running from the home as the fire started. Now, arson investigators are trying to track her down.

It took only minutes for Arson investigator Sam Harris to figure out how this fire in the 600 block of Burke Avenue was started. He said, "The initial investigation determined a fire was set in the living room on the arm of the sofa."

And Harris says it wasn't an accident. "It appears to be set with a flammable liquid. We are looking for a suspect that was seen fleeing from the scene."

Harris says he can't say for sure what type of accelerant was used, but we spotted this bottle of lighter fluid on the ground in back of the house. That was collected as evidence. "It's a definitive arson."

Witnesses told fire officials and WALB that a woman ran out of the house after the fire started. Investigators were conducting photo lineups this afternoon to get a positive ID on the suspect before taking out warrants.  

Feedback

Powered by WorldNow