Bypass shooting investigation continues -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Bypass shooting investigation continues

By Jim Wallace - bio | email

January 21, 2009

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -Police won't say a lot about that deadly shooting on the bypass Tuesday.

We do know that late in the evening, they found a gun along the highway they say was likely used to shoot Drug Agent Mark Farley in the shoulder.

But they won't go into a lot of detail about the moments that led up to 39 year old Clayton Lewis' shooting death.

39 year old Clayton Lewis of Sylvester was shot several times by an Albany Dougherty Drug agent who jumped into his car during a traffic stop yesterday.

That agent, Mark Farley, was also shot in the shoulder, but is okay.

Dougherty County Police Chief Don Cheek said "Details. We have deliberately stayed out of in depth interviews. GBI is handling all of that."

It all started on the North Slappey entrance ramp at the bypass when agents pulled over the Chrysler 300 Lewis was driving because there was an active lookout for it.

39 year old Michael Kielbania was a passenger in the car and when Lewis resisted drug agents, Kielbania jumped out and ran, but was caught.

When Lewis sped away, he hit Agent Vy Chu's legs. Chu is recovering.

Agent Farley jumped into the back seat of the fleeing car.

Cheek said "Trying to hold him. Trying to struggle over the vehicle keys."

Lewis was fighting with Agent Farley as they sped down the Liberty Expressway and collided with a truck. Then a shootout inside the speeding car.

 Cheek said "The suspect grabbed a weapon from between the seats. A semi-automatic pistol He and the officer struggled. The officer shot. There were multiple shots fired."

Chief Cheek would not say who fired first, or how many shots were fired in the car. The car ended up just past the Jefferson entrance ramp on the Bypass. It took Investigators with dogs more than four hours to find Lewis' gun.

Cheek said "Those dogs were able to locate the weapon, which had been thrown out into the median approximately a half a mile west of where the vehicle actually ended up coming to rest."

Cheek could not explain how Lewis' gun ended up along the highway nor would he say if drugs were found in the car, saying that will be revealed in the GBI investigation.


Powered by Frankly