Meigs family escapes burning home - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Meigs family escapes burning home

Posted: Updated:

By Cade Fowler - bio | email

January 15, 2008

MEIGS, GA (WALB) - A Thomas County family is homeless after a fire destroyed their home early Thursday morning. Right now, it's believed a space heater caused that fire.

Just before 4 a.m. fire crews were called out to the home on Rauls Street in Meigs. Timothy Williams, his wife, son, and uncle were asleep inside the home when a smoke detector woke them up. They were able to escape uninjured and call for help.

Six departments from Thomas and Grady counties responded to the fire. Fire officials say arriving units encountered heavy flames and smoke coming from the front of the house. While the homeowner says a carpet rug near a space heater sparked the fire, the exact cause remains under investigation.

The Red Cross out of Thomasville is assisting the Williams family. They lost all of their belongings in the fire.

Feedback