Food left on the stove is to blame for fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Food left on the stove is to blame for fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • 50-state look at how Common Core playing out in US

    50-state look at how Common Core playing out in US

    50-state look at how Common Core playing out in US

    Saturday, August 30 2014 10:00 AM EDT2014-08-30 14:00:19 GMT
    Janet Barresi, state superintendent, gestures as she speaks during a State Board of Education meeting in Oklahoma City, Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2014. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)Janet Barresi, state superintendent, gestures as she speaks during a State Board of Education meeting in Oklahoma City, Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2014. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
    A state-by-state look at the Common Core standards:More >>
    A state-by-state look at the Common Core standards:More >>
  • Colquitt County Tempo Club seeks current and past A Capella choir members

    Colquitt County Tempo Club seeks current and past A Capella choir members

    Colquitt County Tempo Club seeks current and past A Capella choir members

    Saturday, August 30 2014 9:00 AM EDT2014-08-30 13:00:17 GMT
    (Source: MGN Online) (Source: MGN Online)
    The Colquitt County Tempo Club and the Colquitt County High School A Capella Choir would like all current and past members of the A Capella Choir to perform The National Anthem prior to the Colquitt County High School Homecoming game on Friday, September 5th.  More >>
    The Colquitt County Tempo Club and the Colquitt County High School A Capella Choir would like all current and past members of the A Capella Choir to perform The National Anthem prior to the Colquitt County High School Homecoming game on Friday, September 5th.  More >>
  • Darton College receives new honor

    Darton College receives new honor

    Friday, August 29 2014 11:37 PM EDT2014-08-30 03:37:42 GMT
    Darton State College receives a new honor.It is ranked 6th in the country among mid-sized colleges in the Center for Digital Education's annual Digital Community Colleges Survey.More >>
    Darton State College receives a new honor.It is ranked 6th in the country among mid-sized colleges in the Center for Digital Education's annual Digital Community Colleges Survey.More >>

By Wainwright Jeffers - bio | email

December 21, 2008

MOULTRIE, GA (WALB) - Colquitt County deputy and his family know all too well the sad reality of fire dangers.

Food left unattended on the stove is to blame for an early morning fire that destroyed Deputy Sean Ladson's home on Saturday.

The Ladson family lost everything in the flames but luckily their lives were spared.

Colquitt County fire officials are using the devastating incident as an example to others, especially now when more people will be cooking in the kitchen for the holidays.

"He evidently got up to go to work and put some grease on the stove to make some breakfast, and went back in the living room and fell asleep," said Chief Robert Phelps, Southside Volunteer Fire Department.

The homeowner woke up several minutes later to find the kitchen on fire and smoke filling the three bedroom house.

"He did not make any attempt to stop it he just exited the structure which was very good on his part," said Phelps.

The fire spun flames so intense its started to melt parts on nearby vehicles.

Fire officials say this is a lesson others should learn from.

"One of the things we would really like to stress not just this time of year is for people not to leave the kitchen unattended when you have things cooking on the stove," said Phelps. 

Firefighters say always have a fire extinguisher on hand in the kitchen.

The family is stay with relatives and are waiting on their insurance company to make a settlement before they determine if they need additional assistance.

 Feedback