Albany- Some of Albany's newest firefighters tackle their first fire. This morning, a short in a light sparked a house fire at 719 Cotton Avenue. When firefighters arrived, the blaze had engulfed the entire back porch.
It took less than an hour for Albany firefighters to extinguish the fire. And luckily, Linda Dixson wasn't at home when the fire started. Her next-door neighbor reported the fire at about 8:30, after Dixson had already left for work.
The fire started in a light fixture, burning down Dixson's back porch and the rear of her home. Two of the firefighters who battled the blaze graduated from the Fire Academy just 5 days ago. "When I heard the bell ring, my adrenaline started rushing," said new recruit Lucious Williams. "I was nervous, but ready to fight my first fire."
Recruit Davy Knight and his partner were the first to go into the blaze. "The first group doesn't know what to expect. It's dark, and you have to find the fire. It was exhausting," said Knight.
Knight and Williams are two of the city's 16 new recruits who graduated Friday from an eight week firefighter training session. And both walked away from the fire with a heightened appreciation for their new profession. "I'm glad that my first fire is out of the way," said Williams.
These recruits already love the rush that comes from fighting a fire. But they know when they're put to work, someone is losing something they love. For Linda Dixson, it was her home.