Fire Victims warn about space heaters - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire Victims warn about space heaters

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • APD offers Open and Empty Initiative

    APD offers Open and Empty Initiative

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 10:11 AM EDT2014-08-20 14:11:29 GMT
    New signs are part of a new initiative started by the Albany Police Department's Crime Prevention Unit to encourage businesses to empty cash register drawers at the close of business and then leave the register open.More >>
    New signs are part of a new initiative started by the Albany Police Department's Crime Prevention Unit to encourage businesses to empty cash register drawers at the close of business and then leave the register open.More >>
  • Duplex on fire again after molotov cocktail attack

    Duplex on fire again after molotov cocktail attack

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 9:23 AM EDT2014-08-20 13:23:03 GMT
     Firefighters are investigating another fire at an Albany duplex on that was hit earlier this week with a molotov cocktail.
    Fire crews were called to the duplex in the 600 block of West Gordon Avenue around 6 Wednesday morning.
    More >>
     Firefighters are investigating another fire at an Albany duplex on that was hit earlier this week with a molotov cocktail.
    Fire crews were called to the duplex in the 600 block of West Gordon Avenue around 6 Wednesday morning.
    More >>
  • East Albany duplex fire

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 7:28 AM EDT2014-08-20 11:28:59 GMT
    Firefighters are on the scene of a duplex fire in the 1100 block of Clark Avenue. Around 05:22 this morning crews arrived and saw heavy smoke coming from the home.More >>
    Firefighters are on the scene of a duplex fire in the 1100 block of Clark Avenue. Around 05:22 this morning crews arrived and saw heavy smoke coming from the home.More >>

By Karen Cohilas - bio | email

October 29, 2008

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - An Albany family has a warning for people using space heaters. They were asleep Friday night when a space heater caught their house on fire and destroyed everything they owned.

Joanna Jackson and her husband Shermane Turner didn't have central heat in their home at 500 West Gordon Avenue.

They were using a space heater now burned almost beyond recognition to warm. JoAnna awoke around 4:00AM and saw flames. They immediately got their three girls, ages 1, 2, and 3, out of bed and out of the house.

Now, they have little but each other.  JoAnna said, "Cut them off before you go to bed because that's something that we didn't do. We left our space heater on while we were sleeping."

The family desperately needs clothing and furniture. They have applied for emergency housing. If you would like to help, you can call the family at 229-431-0916.

Feedback