Space heater sparks house fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Space heater sparks house fire

By Jim Wallace - bio | email

October 24, 2008

ALBANY, GA (WALB)  - A sleeping South Albany family escaped injury when a space heater set their bed on fire Friday morning.

About 6:30 Jack Williams and Joanne Jackson woke up to find their bed ablaze in this house in the 500 block of West Gordon Avenue.

They rushed to get three children ages 1, 2, and 3, out of the burning house.

Thankfully no one was injured.

Firefighters say there were no working smoke detectors in the home, and the fire was caused by the space heater being too close to their bed.

Feedback

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    Monday, September 11 2017 3:27 AM EDT2017-09-11 07:27:29 GMT
    Tuesday, September 12 2017 2:42 AM EDT2017-09-12 06:42:09 GMT
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
  • Lee Co. seeks man who exposed himself

    Lee Co. seeks man who exposed himself

    Friday, September 22 2017 3:54 PM EDT2017-09-22 19:54:23 GMT
    (Source: Lee Co. Sheriff)(Source: Lee Co. Sheriff)

    About 8:00 Friday morning, a man went into the Lee County Walmart, walked around the store, and exposed himself to a woman, according to Lee County sheriff's officials.

    More >>

    About 8:00 Friday morning, a man went into the Lee County Walmart, walked around the store, and exposed himself to a woman, according to Lee County sheriff's officials.

    More >>
  • UPDATE: Victims of Lee Co. fire identified

    UPDATE: Victims of Lee Co. fire identified

    Friday, September 22 2017 2:32 PM EDT2017-09-22 18:32:15 GMT

    Lee County Fire Chief David Forrester said there were two people in the home, and they saw one person in the front yard.  Two people in the home were transported to Phoebe Putney.

    More >>

    Lee County Fire Chief David Forrester said there were two people in the home, and they saw one person in the front yard.  Two people in the home were transported to Phoebe Putney.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly