Wednesday, June 19 2013 3:46 PM EDT2013-06-19 19:46:09 GMT
A Colquitt County grand jury has indicted two men in a deadly drive by shooting. 23-year-old Derek Rushing and 24-year-old Antonio Williams are charged in the March 5th shooting in which four peopleMore >>
23-year-old Derek Rushing and 24-year-old Antonio Williams are charged in the March 5th shooting in which four people were struck while standing outside a 2nd Street Northwest home. More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 3:26 PM EDT2013-06-19 19:26:33 GMT
We are learning new details about the man who was rescued Tuesday in Ocilla after he became trapped a top of a grain elevator. 36-year-old John Collins of Fitzgerald was repairing a motor one hundredMore >>
36-year-old John Collins of Fitzgerald was repairing a motor one hundred feet a top the grain elevator at Irwinville Peanut when his arm got pinned in the machinery. More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 1:31 PM EDT2013-06-19 17:31:17 GMT
Moultrie Technical College unveiled its new $9.5 million, 46,000 square-foot Health Sciences Building Wednesday. The brand new structure is located at the school's Veterans Parkway Campus (VPC) in Moultrie. RepresentativesMore >>
Moultrie Technical College unveiled its new $9.5 million, 46,000 square-foot Health Sciences Building Wednesday. The brand new structure is located at the school's Veterans Parkway Campus in Moultrie. More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 12:10 PM EDT2013-06-19 16:10:40 GMT
Ravi Mikel Givens was arrested Tuesday and charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. He is being held in the Dougherty County jail. Givens, who played ball at Westover and StetsonMore >>
Agents say that police responded to the apartment because of a burglar alarm. Officers found the back door broken open and went inside. That's where they detected a strong odor of marijuana, and saw pot in plain view.More >>
ALBANY, GA (WALB) - Fire safety is important all year long.
As the season starts to change, this is the perfect time to test the smoke detector in your home.
It takes only seconds to test, precious seconds if there's ever a fire in your home.
"I don't check it as regularly as I should," said Ndi Akpan, Lee County resident.
When we asked Ndi Akpan she admitted her smoke detector is not routinely checked.
"When I hear something on the news about fire, or somebody that's been injured because of a fire I check it, which thankfully is more than once a year," said Akpan.
The Albany Fire Department says smoke detectors should be checked at least once a month.
"People don't understand when you go to sleep your senses decrease, so your sense of smell is going to decrease. The smoke is not going to wake you when there's a fire. That's why it's important to have smoke detectors and let them do their job," said Cpt. Marty Leverett, Albany Fire Department.
AFD recommends always uing good quality batteries, generally the more expensive ones.
"My old apartment I use to have a smoke detector, and it beeped regularly, and you bet accustomed to hearing the noise," Akpan.
If it beeps it's not a good sign.
"Usually when the beep it's telling you is that you need to change your batteries. If you have one that's beeping go ahead and change the batteries, and see if that doesn't correct the problem," said Leverett.
Experts say right now is the time to get up, take a few seconds, and test your smoke detector.
"I'll make a point to check it more often, and keep the batteries in it changed regularly," said Akpan.
"I think it's just as important as having the electricity turned on, I wouldn't sleep in a house unless they had a smoke detector in it. I wouldn't recommend anyone sleeping in a house that doesn't have one," said Leverett.
When they're functioning correctly smoke should alert you to get out before it's too late.
The fire department says it's also good to have a carbon monoxide detector, especially for those who use natural gas appliances, or generators in and around their homes.