Voodoo Curse - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Voodoo Curse

August 13, 2002

A woman puts a voodoo curse on Albany firemen, after they put out a fire she started. A little before ten last night, the woman poured gasoline over the bedroom floor of her apartment, and set it ablaze.

Over 30 people live in the 18-unit apartment building in the 100 block of South Jefferson Street. The sprinkler system contained the fire, keeping it from turning into a disaster.

Monique Paul is in the Dougherty County Jail, being held on 15-thousand dollars bond for first degree arson. In the second floor apartment, you can see the burn marks where the gasoline was poured on the floor. The smell of gasoline still heavy in the apartment.

The fire was still burning when firefighters arrived, but the sprinkler system held it in the bedroom. Investigators arrested Ms. Paul, and she then placed a voodoo curse on the firemen for stopping her.

 Albany Fire Department Assistant Chief James Carswell said "Well, unfortunately, that's what we were told last night, so we will just have to see how that works out. Are your fireman worried about it? Not they didn't take it seriously. There are several people in this area who practice voodoo, and so it's not uncommon to come across this in these situations."

 The building suffered 3 thousand dollars damage, mostly from water and smoke. The apartment below also suffered water damage.

Powered by Frankly