Wind knocks down tree and starts fire in an Albany home - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Wind knocks down tree and starts fire in an Albany home

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Friday, August 1 2014 8:33 AM EDT2014-08-01 12:33:07 GMT
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
  • Salmonella outbreak trial coverage from Albany, GA

    Salmonella outbreak trial coverage from Albany, GA

    Friday, August 1 2014 8:32 AM EDT2014-08-01 12:32:08 GMT
    The federal courthouse in Albany, GAThe federal courthouse in Albany, GA
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia began Thursday.More >>
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia began Thursday.More >>
  • Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Friday, August 1 2014 5:18 AM EDT2014-08-01 09:18:42 GMT
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>

By Christian Jennings - bio | email

August 22, 2008

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - The weather caused a damaging house fire in south Albany tonight. A tree fell in the back yard of a house in the 900 block of Dorsett Avenue around 9:30 Friday night. It crashed into the home and hit outside wires. That caused a short in the wiring inside the house and sparked a fire in the attic.

One woman was asleep in the home when the fire started. Neighbors saw the fire and called 911. They also banged on the doors to wake up the woman. She got out safely and is now staying with her mother down the street.

Firefighters say the fire was not easy to extinguish. It took them about thirty minutes to put out the fire. The fire caused about 30,000 dollars worth of damage. Feedback