ALBANY, GA (WALB) - A chemical reaction started a small fire at the Procter and Gamble Paper Products plant in Dougherty County Tuesday morning.
Firefighters say a shipping container of sodium hydroxide, a sulfur based hazardous chemical used in a bleaching process, leaked onto shipping materials and set them on fire.
Procter and Gamble workers spotted the smoldering pallet, and took quick action. P&G External Relations Manager Vince Falcione said "They immediately isolated it, took it outside to an isolation area, and called the Albany Fire Department, who took care of business as they usually do."
Three Albany Fire Trucks and their Hazmat trailer responded, and poured water on the fire to put it out.
After they were extinguished, the chemicals and shipping materials were put into containers for disposal.