ALBANY, GA (WALB) - The Albany Fire Department wants to know if you're producing bio-diesel on your property after production sparked a fire in Albany Thursday.
The fire destroyed a pool house behind a home on Forest Glen. Firefighters say a drill being used to stir a bio-fuel mixture caught fire and ignited vapors in the pool house. It was destroyed. Firefighters say a water additive called Fire Ade helped them control the fire quickly, but it also helps to know who is producing bio-fuel in Albany.
"If anyone is doing it in the community we would like to know about it just for our purposes. We do an annual pre-fire plan for all of the commercial businesses in town and the production while it may not be commercially sold or something like that it is something that we would consider a hazard regardless of size and we would like to know about it of course," said Albany Fire Department Training Chief Ron Rowe.
Firefighters say the bio-fuel mixture is most dangerous while it's being mixed and the storage of the fuel isn't really an issue.