Father saves children from burning home - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Father saves children from burning home

By Karen Cohilas - bio | email

July 23, 2008

ALBANY, GA (WALB) - A father, separated from his children by a fire, made a heroic rescue overnight. Shankia Nix rushed out of his burning mobile home and then knocked out windows to pull his four children to safety. Fortunately everyone who was in the home is okay.

The Albany Fire Chief says it's another reminder of the importance of smoke detectors.

It was a simple mistake that led to a catastrophe for the family living in this mobile home at Oak Grove Mobile Home Park. Food was left cooking on the stove after everyone went to sleep.

Chief James Carswell said, "They were alerted to the fire by a smoke detector that went off and once the encountered the smoke in the kitchen and living rooms, they were blocked from getting to the back bedrooms."

That's because the home has a split floor plan, and 30-year-old Shankia Nix couldn't get to his four children. He went outside the trailer and busted out the windows to get to three of them. "He had cuts on his hands and the kids also had some cuts where he removed them from a window."

He was able to go back inside to get the fourth child out. A brave act by a desperate father. "Obviously what he did is heroic and thankfully everybody turned out well."

And a good reminder of just how important it is for all of us to have smoke detectors in our homes. "they're on when you are asleep, they'll alert you to a fire."

The mobile home was destroyed. The family was assisted by the Red Cross and is now staying with family. A firefighter's face piece became loose while he was fighting the fire.

He received oxygen for smoke inhalation on the scene, but is okay.

Feedback

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly