Live-in boy friend charged with child's murder - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Live-in boy friend charged with child's murder

18-year-old Vincent Soilberry (Source: APD) 18-year-old Vincent Soilberry (Source: APD)

May 5, 2008

Albany --  An 18-year-old Albany teen is now charged with beating a three-year old boy to death. Vincent Soilberry lived with the little boy and the child's mother.  

Police reports paint a picture of an angry rage during which the child was beaten so severely his liver ruptured.    

Even though Vincent Soilberry told 911 that little Shondarious Roney drowned, investigators knew almost immediately that wasn't what happened. The tiny boy's body was covered with bruises.

"This was an intentional act, and I must leave it at that," said an obviously impassioned Chief Assistant District Attorney Greg Edwards. Murder warrants state that Soilberry struck the child several times on his upper body with his closed fists, so hard that his liver ruptured, his ribs were fractured, and he had internal injuries.

"It was through investigation, and witnesses, and the forensic work of Albany Police Department, that we were able to bring this matter to a conclusion with these charges," said Edwards.

When we asked why Soilberry beat the three year old, Edwards said: "I can't comment on facts, we must preserve the matter until it goes before an approperiate tribunal."

However, Albany Police reports indicate Shondarius soiled himself. Soilberry apparently flew into a rage.

Prosecutors say this should serve as a warning that this type of behavior won't be tolerated. "We want to let those who would hurt children know that justice is going to be swift and is going to be sure," said the Assistant D. A. Soilberry remains in the Dougherty County Jail.

The victim's mother, 21-year-old Shaquita Bell was not home at the time. Neighbors say Soilberry had lived with the mother and son for about a year.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=SoilberryCharged-JE-5/5

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly