Blaze blamed on birds - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Blaze blamed on birds

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

April 28, 2008

Albany --  Fire forced four families out of their homes in north Albany Monday, and firefighters believe it may have been started by a bird's nest.  

A light fixture on the back porch of the apartment on 18th Avenue shorted out just before noon.   That caught a chair on fire, which ignited a nearby car, which spread to the roof of a building next door.

Investigators found bird nests in several other light fixtures and believe there may have been one in the fixture that caught fire.

"Most of the fire was on the back side, in and around the car, and into the apartment. As you can see, it looks like it went straight up from the car and into it," said Albany Fire Chief James Carswell.

There was no one home in the two apartment units damaged by the fire. Firefighters estimate the damage at $50,000.

The occupants temporarily moved out of all four units because there's no electricity because of the fire.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=BirdNestFire-JW

Powered by WorldNow