Food, phone call lead to house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Food, phone call lead to house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Americus runner back in Boston

    Americus runner back in Boston

    Monday, April 21 2014 4:39 AM EDT2014-04-21 08:39:51 GMT
    One of the thousands of runners participating in the marathon today comes from Southwest Georgia, Charlene Pennymon. She's returning to Boston to win another title but also give hope to others. @ ThisMore >>
    One of the thousands of runners participating in the marathon today comes from Southwest Georgia, Charlene Pennymon. She's returning to Boston to win another title but also give hope to others. More >>
  • Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Thomasville woman celebrates 100th Birthday

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:57 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:57:34 GMT
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
    A Thomasville woman is celebrating her 100th birthday. Irene Manning celebrates her 100th Birthday today. Friends and family threw her a birthday party at Cherokee Lake in Thomasville. Her grandson saysMore >>
  • Easter Bunny visits hospitalized children

    Easter Bunny visits hospitalized children

    Sunday, April 20 2014 5:52 PM EDT2014-04-20 21:52:00 GMT
    The Easter Bunny made an appearance at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital today.   The Dougherty County Police Department partnered with the Easter Bunny Foundation to deliver stuffed Easter Bunnies to childrenMore >>
    The Easter Bunny made an appearance at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital today.   The Dougherty County Police Department partnered with the Easter Bunny Foundation to deliver stuffed Easter Bunnies to childrenMore >>

 April 21, 2008


 Albany --  A phone call and an unattended stove led to $30,000 in fire damage at an Albany home Monday morning.

Authorities say Rachel Walker left food cooking on her stove about 10:45AM to answer a telephone call. By the time she got back to the kitchen the fire was burning.

She tried to fight the fire but it got out of hand and burned through the roof doing an estimated $30,000  in damage.

A fire department spokesman says Walker stayed in her home at 1919 Gillespie, longer than she should have, but managed to escape unharmed.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=GillespieFire-RW

Powered by WorldNow