Family survives early AM blaze - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Family survives early AM blaze

Posted: Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Trial in salmonella outbreak could exceed 2 months

    Trial in salmonella outbreak could exceed 2 months

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 5:52 PM EDT2014-07-30 21:52:12 GMT
    Sign at the Peanut Corporation of AmericaSign at the Peanut Corporation of America
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia could last for at least two months.More >>
    The trial of three people charged in a deadly salmonella outbreak linked to a peanut plant in Georgia could last for at least two months.More >>
  • How to enjoy an unseasonably cool day

    How to enjoy an unseasonably cool day

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 5:50 PM EDT2014-07-30 21:50:08 GMT
    This time of year it's hard to find a time where the heat and humidity aren't suffocating, but today was an exception. More >>
    This time of year it's hard to find a time where the heat and humidity aren't suffocating, but today was an exception. More >>
  • Suspect identified in fatal Decatur Co. shooting

    Suspect identified in fatal Decatur Co. shooting

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 5:12 PM EDT2014-07-30 21:12:49 GMT
    Sheriff Wiley GriffinSheriff Wiley Griffin
    Leroy Wimberly is facing murder, aggravated assault, possession of a weapon in commission of a crime and possession of weapon by a convicted felon, after a double shooting overnight that left one man dead and another injured.More >>
    Leroy Wimberly is facing murder, aggravated assault, possession of a weapon in commission of a crime and possession of weapon by a convicted felon, after a double shooting overnight that left one man dead and another injured.More >>

 April 7, 2008

 Albany -- A Dougherty County couple escaped from their burning home this home this morning thanks to a life saving wake up call from their three and five-year-old sons.  

Chris Davis and Nikki Burnette say they were sleeping in their home at 3708 Slade Road when the fire began in a back bedroom. Their young sons saw the flames and woke them up just in time to get out. 

"My oldest son came in there and said 'Mama, there's fire.' We went out there, and the far bedroom on this side of the house had smoke, flames in it. We got 'em out, and called 9-1-1," said Nikki Burnette.

Fire fighters were able to control the flames, but the home received severe smoke and fire damage. No word yet on what started the fire.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=SladeFire-CF