Daycare where child died to close -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Daycare where child died to close

March 6, 2008

Douglas -- A day care center in Douglas, where a two year old was killed by a falling TV set, will close Friday, but is planning to re-open.

The state found it was negligence that caused the death of two-year-old Jamerson Goodman and has recommended their license be revoked.

But the daycare hopes a brand new day care may mean a fresh start.

The Georgia Department of Care and Early Learning has asked for the license to be revoked at the Pine Street Church of God Day Care in Douglas.

They say an investigation concluded the day care was violating multiple state mandated regulations when Jamerson Goodman died after sustaining mortal injuries in their care last August.

 "It never crossed my mind that something would have happened at that day care, but when I got that call, it was the worst call I ever got in my life.  And just to know Jay will never come back, he'll never be back is just devastating." said the dead child's mother, Kimberly Wright.

Goodman was climbing on a TV stand when the TV, VCR and DVD Player came crashing down on top of him.  He died just hours later.

The state found the day care was understaffed, with just two workers watching 23 children, ages two to ten. The ratio calls for one worker per 10 children. They also concluded the day care did not properly secure hazardous items like the TV.  

Just months before Goodman's death, the state which cited the center for these same problems.  Problems the day care promised to fix. 

"If it was a problem they should have fixed it.  You know, if it happened a month earlier, if they had gotten help, my baby would still be here," Wright said.

Rumors are flying around Douglas that the day care will shut down.  The center confirmed they'll be closing Friday but say it's due to building a new sanctuary and day care.  No official word to when and if they'll be reopening, but they hope to start fresh with a new center.

Meanwhile, they've begun talks with the state to appeal the decision to have their license revoked.  However, no official appeal has yet been made.

Since the accident, the state conducted to supervised visits that showed the daycare was making improvements.

Goodman's family says they are glad to see that something is being done, and hope whatever the outcome is will bring closure to all their family and friends.


Powered by Frankly