Town home destroyed in Valdosta fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Town home destroyed in Valdosta fire

Posted: Updated:

January 4, 2008

Valdosta - A Valdosta townhouse is destroyed, another damaged during a early morning fire.

Firefighters were called to homes off Jerry Jones road around 5:00 AM on Friday.

Three people were asleep inside. The noise from the fire woke them up and they made it out okay.

But investigators say everything inside was a total loss.

They say faulty piping in the chimney is to blame.

"We recommend people have their fireplace inspected before they use them each year and this is a case that if it had been done, this probably could have been prevented and there are some local chimney sweeps companies that do that type of work," says Chief John Wisenbaker of the Valdosta Fire Department.

The fire crossed from the attic of one town home to the one next door. Investigators say there is severe fire and water damage there as well.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=valfire

Powered by WorldNow