Firefighters warn about space heater dangers -, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters warn about space heater dangers

January 2, 2008

Albany -- Temperatures will plunge into the 20's again Wednesday night in South Georgia, and firefighters are warning you about the dangers of space heaters.  

 Firefighters say many South Georgians will use space heaters for an extended period during this cold snap, and that could be a fire hazard.

Space heaters are not designed to run for long periods, and firefighters say extended use could cause a fire. Albany Fire Department Chief James Carswell said "make sure you keep at least three feet separation between the heater and any kind of combustables. And by all means allow it to cool off periodically. "

Firefighters say you should have a working smoke detector in your home.   Especially if you use space heaters to stay warm while sleeping.


Powered by Frankly