Cooker ignited Valdosta restaurant fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Cooker ignited Valdosta restaurant fire

Posted: Updated:

December 26, 2007

Valdosta - Employees at the Sonny's B-B-Q in Valdosta Wednesday helped clean up the mess left by a weekend fire.

Restaurant managers tell us a cooker caught fire Sunday morning.

Everything inside was destroyed or damaged by fire, smoke or water.

Also inside, 200 turkeys and hams ordered for the holidays.

Employees worked around the clock at their restaurant in Lake Park to assure no family would go without a Christmas dinner.

"It turned us upside down really. We had all the stuff prepared to pick up for Christmas eve. The place burnt up Sunday morning and we had to go dow to Lake Park and do it all again. My staff did most of the work. We pulled over nighters, cooked non-stop and got it done," says Manager Tony Mosteller.

The owner doesn't want to lay off anyone during the holidays, so the 40 employees have been moved down to that Lake Park location.

They hope to re-open the Valdosta restaurant in the next six months.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=sonnysfire