House fire leaves family homeless for the holidays - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

House fire leaves family homeless for the holidays

Updated:
  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>
  • Manhole overflowing at Lenox Dr. and W. Oglethrope

    Manhole overflowing at Lenox Dr. and W. Oglethrope

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:24 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:24:01 GMT
    Be careful if your traveling near the intersection of Lennox Drive and West Oglethrope Ave. A manhole is overflowing releasing nearly 25 gallons of water a minute. City officials says the undergroundMore >>
    Be careful if your traveling near the intersection of Lennox Drive and West Oglethrope Ave. A manhole is overflowing releasing nearly 25 gallons of water a minute. More >>

December 22, 2007

Moultrie -- Smoldered holiday lights disappear into a boarded window. The wreath at the front door is covered in molten black ash. And a melted Christmas tree now lays in the front lawn.

"I was hoping it wasn't true. Someone was playing a joke on me. But when I got around the street and saw all the fire trucks and people standing around, I knew it was true," said Dorothy McGee.

Food, melted blinds and blackened toys are among the pile of things left in front of the house. The family was only able to salvage a handful of things from this disaster.

"Everything was gone, but my grandson was safe and my daughters were safe that made me feel better. But I still thought I am 46, and I have to start all over," said McGee.

"Birth certificates, social security cards, pictures, picture albums, beds, sofa chairs and all that stuff got soaked up," said family member, Jamal Lee.

"Coming up to Christmas it was like I don't have anything. I can't do nothing. I have nowhere to go, and what am I suppose to do," said McGee.

But after the Red Cross put her in a motel for two days, others came forward.

"I was worried about where we were going to stay, but a firefighter and his wife, Mr. Lacey and his wife, came forward and paid for us to stay for four more days," said McGee.

"People have been coming by bringing clothes. They brought clothes for my girls, grandson and myself. It shows me a different outlook the way that people stepped up like they did. I didn't know they cared as much."

And now this family of four will spent this holiday season trying to move forward. If you would like to help you can contact Jamal Lee at 229-456-7018.

feedback: news@walb.com?Subject=HouseFire/DR

Powered by WorldNow