Wednesday, June 19 2013 6:51 PM EDT2013-06-19 22:51:07 GMT
Ravi Mikel Givens was arrested Tuesday and charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. He is being held in the Dougherty County jail. Givens, who played ball at Westover and StetsonMore >>
Agents say that police responded to the apartment because of a burglar alarm. Officers found the back door broken open and went inside. That's where they detected a strong odor of marijuana, and saw pot in plain view.More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 6:49 PM EDT2013-06-19 22:49:38 GMT
Moultrie Technical College unveiled its new $9.5 million, 46,000 square-foot Health Sciences Building Wednesday. The brand new structure is located at the school's Veterans Parkway Campus (VPC) in Moultrie. RepresentativesMore >>
Moultrie Technical College unveiled its new $9.5 million, 46,000 square-foot Health Sciences Building Wednesday. The brand new structure is located at the school's Veterans Parkway Campus in Moultrie.More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 6:46 PM EDT2013-06-19 22:46:04 GMT
Albany Humane Society officials say it's one of the worst cases of animal neglect they have seen. Tonight a veterinarian and Humane Society workers are trying to nurse a one-year old lab mix back toMore >>
Albany Humane Society officials and a veterinarian are nursing a dog back to health, after she was nearly starved to death.More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 6:45 PM EDT2013-06-19 22:45:45 GMT
Work is underway on a big empty retail space in Albany to bring in a new business and a spirit of celebration. Party City will open a store at 2709 Dawson Road, near the Albany Mall this August. EconomicMore >>
Work is underway on a big empty retail space in Albany to bring in a new business and a spirit of celebration.More >>
Wednesday, June 19 2013 6:41 PM EDT2013-06-19 22:41:48 GMT
An Albany prosthetist is coming to the rescue to help a Moultrie man who lost his arm to rare flesh eating bacteria. We introduced you to Michael Hobgood last night. His arm was amputated less than twoMore >>
An Albany prosthetist is coming to the rescue to help a Moultrie man who lost his arm to rare flesh eating bacteria.More >>
October 31, 2007
Albany -- A three-month old South Dougherty County girl died as she slept in her father's bed.
Investigators say the baby's 20-year old father denies rolling over on the child and cut off her breathing, and Investigators say there is no evidence that he did.
He discovered the child wasn't breathing when he woke up about 7:00 Tuesday morning at his home on Impala Lane. An autopsy ruled out any foul play, and no charges have been filed.
Investigators say it was a regular routine for the Father to sleep with the baby in an adult bed. Doctors say parents sleeping in their adult beds with their babies is an unnecessary danger. Many parents occasionally put their baby in bed with them, but experts say they should stop.
Kelly Mullins is a new mother, but knows that her bed is not meant to be shared with her daughter Leah. Mullins said "I never know what I am going to do in my sleep. I don't think any of us do. And I'm not taking that risk of rolling over and not knowing I did it, and hurting her."
Pediatricians say an adult's bed is a danger zone for babies, even more so when the parent is next to them. Pediatrician Dr. Bruce Smith said "A baby has obligant nose breathing we call it, if the nose was blocked they don't know how to breath through their mouths for the first few months of life. So if the babies nose gets in the bedding somehow, or lays against it in a certain way, they may just quit breathing all together."
Dr. Smith recommends that all babies sleep in an approved baby bed on their back at all times. Dr. Smith said "the baby needs to be in his or her own bed, because those mattresses are especially fitted and especially made that we know the baby is not going to sink down in them."
Kelly makes sure Leah sleeps safely in her own bed, never with her parents, taking one other worry away from young parents. Mullins said "why take that risk, shouldn't do that." Babies are one of the great joys in a parent's life, and experts say not sleeping with them is an easy, but important way to avoid heartbreak.
Dr. Smith says hospitals should teach in parenting classes the danger of babies sleeping in adult beds.