Apartment fire caused by candle - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Apartment fire caused by candle

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Employers ready for upcoming job fair at Moody AFB

    Employers ready for upcoming job fair at Moody AFB

    Thursday, August 21 2014 9:36 AM EDT2014-08-21 13:36:59 GMT
     Thursday morning, the Valdosta-Lowndes County chamber, along with the Department of Labor, held their second and final "Operation Moody Transition" employer workshop ahead of the September 4th job fair.More >>
     Thursday morning, the Valdosta-Lowndes County chamber, along with the Department of Labor, held their second and final "Operation Moody Transition" employer workshop ahead of the September 4th job fair.
    More >>
  • GEMA offers 10 tips during extreme heat

    GEMA offers 10 tips during extreme heat

    Thursday, August 21 2014 9:17 AM EDT2014-08-21 13:17:46 GMT
    A heat wave will make it feel like the temperature is over 100º in the next couple of days in South Georgia. The CDC says extreme heat is the top weather-related killer in the nation, claiming approximately 400 lives per year. More >>
    A heat wave will make it feel like the temperature is over 100º in the next couple of days in South Georgia. The CDC says extreme heat is the top weather-related killer in the nation, claiming approximately 400 lives per year. More >>
  • Montford Point Marine to be honored at MCLB

    Montford Point Marine to be honored at MCLB

    Thursday, August 21 2014 8:55 AM EDT2014-08-21 12:55:05 GMT
    Private First Class James Windom became a member of the Montford Point Marines in June 1943. He was honorably discharged from the Marine Corps in Aug. 1949. The Windom family will be at the ceremony Friday to accept his award.More >>
    Private First Class James Windom became a member of the Montford Point Marines in June 1943. He was honorably discharged from the Marine Corps in Aug. 1949. The Windom family will be at the ceremony Friday to accept his award.More >>

October 30, 2007

Albany -- An Albany man accidentally set his apartment on fire with a candle early Tuesday morning.

About 4:45 Firefighters were called to an apartment in the 700 block of West Highland Avenue where the bedroom was ablaze.

Firefighters say Lonnie Newberry had just moved into the apartment and had a candle burning on the floor near his bed. The candle set the bed on fire.

Newberry was not injured, but the apartment sustained thousands of dollars in fire and smoke damage.

feedback: news@walb.com?subject=candlefire