West Nile virus case announced - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

West Nile virus case announced

September 7, 2007

Albany-- A Northwest Albany man has the regions first confirmed case of West Nile Virus.

In a late-afternoon news conference, the Health Department announced the 77-year old man tested positive for the mosquito carried illness.

The man is out of the hospital and is okay. The Health Department says he spent a good bit of time outdoors prior to becoming ill.

Southwest Georgia Health District Director Jacqueline Grant says area residents need to take some of the following precautions to keep down there exposure to mosquitoes. So far this year, there have been 906 cases of West Nile in the United States, resulting in 26 deaths.

This year in Georgia there have been 11 confirmed cases, 1 in Tift County.  Today's case IS THe 12th confirmed case of West Nile in Georgia. Last year, there were 8 cases of West Nile in Georgia.  Three of the cases were here in Albany. The only death in Georgia last year was a Dougherty County man. 

Feedback: news@walb.com

 

 

Powered by WorldNow