EPD Investigation in Terrell County - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

EPD Investigation in Terrell County

September 6, 2007

Albany - A hazardous waste scare in Dawson Thursday. Several 55-gallon drums were found behind a building downtown, and gave off an odd-scent. Concerned citizens called police, and about 100 other drums were found dumped down the road. Now, the Environmental Protection Division is investigating.

It first started here. People in this building on 5th Avenue in Dawson were cleaning out a building, moving large drums outside. They gave off a strong scent, like a paint solvent. That's why the EPD was called out.

"There were some unusual odors coming from a building in downtown Dawson," said Advanced ecologist Edwin Williams.  Once he got to the building, he learned about this site, where more barrels had been dumped.

"When we do a complaint inspection," said Williams, "the first thing is go to the site, do an inspection, photograph what we see, take it back to the office and establish at our office with our managers what the next step will be."

Williams says it doesn't appear the drums, and their contents are an immediate health hazard, just possibly an environmental one. In addition to the barrels, most of which are empty, the site also has trailers on it that are filled with rags. They appear to be covered with nothing more than paint.

But looks can, of course, be deceiving, and Williams say further tests may be conducted. "If barrels have contents, that could include testing the contents of the barrels. Looking at least in this area where the drums are on the ground, looking on the ground to see if there are releases, there will probably testing of the ground."

And ultimately find answers, like who the barrels belong to, what was inside, and why they were dumped here.

Geologist Edwin Williams says because the drums were mostly empty when they were dumped, fumes will quickly dissipate and should not cause any breathing problems.

comments: news@walb.com?subject=EPDInvestigation-KC

 

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly