Order up Safety - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Order up Safety

August 27, 2007

Albany - Most of us are pretty careful about how we prepare food at home. You would never leave raw meat out and unattended for hours at a time, and of course, you don't store chemicals next to food in the pantry. So why should it be any different in a restaurant?

The state is cracking down on the way your food is prepared and served. It may make things a bit harder on restaurants, but it's all for the health of the consumer.

It may not be the first thing on your mind when you go out to eat, what your going to eat probably is, but the safety of the food you order, is probably also paramount.

"We eat here everyday," said Zak Heath.  He has been coming to Roosters since it opened. He likes the food here, and the fact that they have a perfect 100 on their opening inspection report.

"I'm all for the hair nets and the gloves and all that stuff," he said. "I think that's the best way to go."

And to keep customers like Zak coming back, co-owner Austin Newman says he's got to keep his food not only tasting good, but safe. "It's very, very important. That's one of the reasons we're here is to provide a safe product for our customers."

He says the new rules put in place by the state of Georgia, will be a lot of extra work for his employees, but certainly worth it. "It is a lot sometimes," said Newman, "but it is for the benefit of the public and we're here to follow those rules."

Because if his food's not safe, his business won't be either. "We would be out of business and we're not here to be out of business, we're here to be in business. So we follow those rules and make sure our food is safe."

And when those new rules go into effect December 1st, Roosters will be ready when the sun comes up.

Three training classes will be held next month by district health for food service establishments to inform them of the changes to the food safety rules. They are September 14th from 9-11 AM, the 18th from 2-4 PM and 19th from 7-9 PM.

comments: news@walb.com?subject=RestaurantSafety4You

 

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly