Smoking in bed blamed for fatal fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Smoking in bed blamed for fatal fire

August 24, 2007

Albany --  A disabled East Albany man was killed in a house fire early Friday.  Fifty-nine-year-old Ulysses Bell apparently fell asleep while smoking at his Collins Street home. 

A neighbor who went to check on him realized his bedroom was on fire and called for help.     

"Under no circumstances should anyone smoke in bed, because you're laying down, you never know, you'll get tired and fall asleep and you don't mean to, but those accidents happen like that, and unfortunately in this case, it turned out to the worst of cases," says Deputy Chief David Eddins of the Albany Fire Department.

The fire department was called just after 3:30AM. Bell died of smoke inhalation.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=SmokigInBed-JE

Powered by WorldNow