Smoking in bed blamed for fatal fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Smoking in bed blamed for fatal fire

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Wanted woman found under a bed

    Wanted woman found under a bed

    Friday, August 29 2014 9:56 AM EDT2014-08-29 13:56:32 GMT
    APD reports that officers got a tip that a wanted person was “hiding out” at 708 North Jackson Street. Offices went to that location and confirmed the suspect was there. They said they found Wanda Harris hiding under a bed and arrested her, then notified DCP.More >>
    APD reports that officers got a tip that a wanted person was “hiding out” at 708 North Jackson Street. Offices went to that location and confirmed the suspect was there. They said they found Wanda Harris hiding under a bed and arrested her, then notified DCP.More >>
  • Take care on the water this weekend

    Take care on the water this weekend

    Friday, August 29 2014 8:52 AM EDT2014-08-29 12:52:39 GMT
    The Department of Natural Resources law enforcement division says its rangers will be busy making sure boaters follow the rules and stay sober and safe while operating boats over the long weekend.More >>
    The Department of Natural Resources law enforcement division says its rangers will be busy making sure boaters follow the rules and stay sober and safe while operating boats over the long weekend.More >>
  • High mercury levels harmful to babies

    High mercury levels harmful to babies

    Friday, August 29 2014 6:02 AM EDT2014-08-29 10:02:09 GMT
    Guidelines regarding fish consumption has been released by the Food and Drug Administration for women who are pregnant, trying to become pregnant and children. Their research shows eating certain types of fish containing extreme levels of mercury can negatively affect neurodevelopment in growing babies.More >>
    Guidelines regarding fish consumption has been released by the Food and Drug Administration for women who are pregnant, trying to become pregnant and children. Their research shows eating certain types of fish containing extreme levels of mercury can negatively affect neurodevelopment in growing babies.More >>

August 24, 2007

Albany --  A disabled East Albany man was killed in a house fire early Friday.  Fifty-nine-year-old Ulysses Bell apparently fell asleep while smoking at his Collins Street home. 

A neighbor who went to check on him realized his bedroom was on fire and called for help.     

"Under no circumstances should anyone smoke in bed, because you're laying down, you never know, you'll get tired and fall asleep and you don't mean to, but those accidents happen like that, and unfortunately in this case, it turned out to the worst of cases," says Deputy Chief David Eddins of the Albany Fire Department.

The fire department was called just after 3:30AM. Bell died of smoke inhalation.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=SmokigInBed-JE