Wendy's fire not arson - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Wendy's fire not arson

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Missing man with Alzheimer's Disease Found

    Missing man with Alzheimer's Disease Found

    Thursday, July 31 2014 3:51 AM EDT2014-07-31 07:51:18 GMT
    Authorities in Berrien County are searching for a man with Alzheimer's Disease that has gone missing.They say John Bethea was last seen heading south on White Pond Road in Nashville at 11 a.m.More >>
    Authorities in Berrien County are searching for a man with Alzheimer's Disease that has gone missing.They say John Bethea was last seen heading south on White Pond Road in Nashville at 11 a.m.More >>
  • Albany cheerleading team could be on reality show

    Albany cheerleading team could be on reality show

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:42 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:42:06 GMT
    Dr. Latonya Peterson, Assistant CoachDr. Latonya Peterson, Assistant Coach
    An Albany cheerleading team could be featured on a reality show. More than 50 girls tried out to join the two time national champion Albany Elite “Tiger Paws.”More >>
    An Albany cheerleading team could be featured on a reality show. More than 50 girls tried out to join the two time national champion Albany Elite “Tiger Paws.”More >>
  • Veterans to learn about benefits at American Legion event

    Veterans to learn about benefits at American Legion event

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:34 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:34:18 GMT
    William D. Simmons, American Legion 2nd District CommanderWilliam D. Simmons, American Legion 2nd District Commander
    American Legion leaders are preparing for an event to help South Georgia veterans learn more about the benefits they earned. More >>
    American Legion leaders are preparing for an event to help South Georgia veterans learn more about the benefits they earned. More >>

August 15, 2007

Albany -- Faulty lights caused that fire at Wendy's in Albany early Wednesday morning. The fire started just after midnight outside the restaurant at Dawson and Slappey.

 The fire cracked glass windows and caused thousands of dollars in damage. Employees told Investigators there's been a lot of vandalism at the restaurant and they thought the fire was intentionally set.

But firefighters said the fire was caused by lights that ignited some pinestraw. Albany Fire Chief James Carswell said "light ballast generate their own heat, and if they short out they can generate a high level of heat. And they will set surrounding wood or plastic on fire, and we feel like that's what happened in this case."

 Firefighters say the restaurant re-opened later in the afternoon.

feedback: news@walb.com?subject=firecause