Man narrowly escapes fire; Pet does not - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Man narrowly escapes fire; Pet does not

August 3, 2007


Albany  --   About six o'clock Friday morning, Curtis Murphy woke to find his apartment on Rosedale Avenue full of smoke.     

He used his mattress to shield himself from the flames and pushed through his door to safety.  He ran next door to get his neighbor to try to help him put out the fire.

"I came back over here to make sure he was all right, and then to get out as much as we could, but by then the fire had gotten so big there wasn't much we could do but wait on the fire department to get here to calm it down," said neighbor Greg Burns.     

Murphy was also unable to save his dog that was trapped inside the apartment when the fire started.   Albany Firefighters believe and electric cooking burner started the fire.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=RosedaleAvenueFire-JE