Fire destroys home of Albany firefighter - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire destroys home of Albany firefighter

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Stores gear up for Tax Free Weekend

    Friday, August 1 2014 5:18 AM EDT2014-08-01 09:18:42 GMT
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
    Retail stores in South Georgia are gearing up for the tax free holiday weekend.More >>
  • Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Shoppers fire up for tax free holiday

    Friday, August 1 2014 4:12 AM EDT2014-08-01 08:12:21 GMT
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
    Calculators, spirals, backpacks...just a few essentials for back-to-school shopping and with a bonus of a tax free holiday, shoppers will be scrambling to snag the best deals. More >>
  • Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Phoebe foundation receives donation for medical student housing

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:25:30 GMT
    Lauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive DirectorLauren Ray, Phoebe Foundation Executive Director
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>
    A generous donation will help build a $5 million medical student housing facility on Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital's campus.The Richard King Mellon Foundation donated $1 million to the Phoebe Foundation for the proposed 25-unit gated community. More >>

July 26, 2007

Dougherty County -- A candle started the fire in the Sylvester Road home of James Brown Wednesday afternoon. His wife and children left the candle burning by mistake and were not home when the fire erupted.

Brown returned home this morning from a church conference in New York. There's not much left to salvage.

His fellow firefighters are coming together to help him in his time of trouble. "I can replace the furniture and everything else. I just want to thank God my family was safe," Brown said.  

"From a department standpoint, we have asked our employees if they want to give a love offering, to our fellow firefighter, to take that money up and we'll give it to them to use as he needs to get back on his feet," said Albany Fire Chief James Carswell.  

The Red Cross provided the Browns a place to stay for the next couple of days.

Brown says it feels a little odd to be on the other side of a fire, but he's glad for all the kindness people are showing his family.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=FiremanFire.JW