East Albany house fire was swift - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

East Albany house fire was swift

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>
  • Manhole overflowing at Lenox Dr. and W. Oglethrope

    Manhole overflowing at Lenox Dr. and W. Oglethrope

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:24 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:24:01 GMT
    Be careful if your traveling near the intersection of Lennox Drive and West Oglethrope Ave. A manhole is overflowing releasing nearly 25 gallons of water a minute. City officials says the undergroundMore >>
    Be careful if your traveling near the intersection of Lennox Drive and West Oglethrope Ave. A manhole is overflowing releasing nearly 25 gallons of water a minute. More >>

June 27, 2007

Albany--  An afternoon fire in East Albany is under investigation.

About 5 Wednesday afternoon, Albany firefighters responded to an abandoned house fire on Thornton Avenue. An hour later, they were still putting out hot spots.

Flames shot up only a few feet away from a home next door. That's where Dale Bumbalough was selling fruit in the front yard when he smelled smoke. He thinks thieves stealing copper wiring may have sparked the fire.

"The fire was about three feet from his house. We went back there with two water hoses and were spraying while we were calling 911," said Dale Bumbalough.

Bumbalough says those flames reached high into the trees. He's thankful they didn't reach his friend's home.

feedback: news@walb.com?subject=ThorntonFire

 

Powered by WorldNow