Is the room your rent safe? - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Is the room your rent safe?

June 8, 2007


Albany -- As investigators scoured a charred Atlanta motel for clues that could help them discover how five people were killed, local fire officials remind you it's your responsibility to make sure your motel room is safe.

The two-story Budget Inn motel in Riverdale collapsed in the blaze yesterday. The fire killed five people huddled in a bathroom and injured six more. 

While many older motels may not have sprinkler systems, including some in Albany, Fire Chief James Carswell says every hotel room should have a smoke detector to alert you in an emergency.

 "If it's not there or not working properly you need to bring it to someone's attention  because ultimately it could cost you your life."

Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner John Oxendine believes the fire started outside the building and quickly spread inside. 

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=HotelFires/KC

Powered by WorldNow