FEMA details aid to 8 south GA counties - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

FEMA details aid to 8 south GA counties

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • South Georgians encouraged to get screened for oral cancer

    South Georgians encouraged to get screened for oral cancer

    Thursday, April 17 2014 4:49 PM EDT2014-04-17 20:49:56 GMT
    Valdosta dentists are encouraging people to get regularly checked for oral cancers That's part of the reason South Georgia Medical Center is holding a free oral cancer screening event Thursday nightMore >>
    That's part of the reason South Georgia Medical Center is holding a free oral cancer screening event Thursday night at the Pearlman Cancer Center at SGMC.More >>
  • Coffee Co. schools release early Friday

    Coffee Co. schools release early Friday

    Thursday, April 17 2014 4:44 PM EDT2014-04-17 20:44:13 GMT
    The Coffee County Schools System says that due to projections of heavy rain and a flood watch in our area on Friday afternoon, they will dismiss early on Friday, April 18.  The standard early releaseMore >>
    The Coffee County Schools System says that due to projections of heavy rain and a flood watch in our area on Friday afternoon, they will dismiss early on Friday, April 18.More >>
  • Michelle Nunn tours Valdosta food bank

    Michelle Nunn tours Valdosta food bank

    Thursday, April 17 2014 4:42 PM EDT2014-04-17 20:42:47 GMT
    U.S. Senate candidate Michelle Nunn now has a better idea of just how important food banks are to South Georgia. Nunn requested a tour of the Second Harvest food bank in Valdosta. It's part of herMore >>
    Nunn requested a tour of the Second Harvest food bank in Valdosta. It's part of her initiative to highlight organizations across Georgia that are giving back to their community.More >>

March 9, 2007

Americus-  Representatives from eight of the nine Georgia counties declared disaster areas got a briefing Friday afternoon from state and federal officials.  During the briefing, FEMA and GEMA officials outlined what kind of eligibility requirements will need to be met in order for the counties to be reimbursed for their clean up.

FEMA will pay for 75 percent of the county's debris removal and emergency protective measures taken in responding to the storms. It will be up to the state and local governments to handle the remaining 25 percent.

By using prison work details Sumter County has saved nearly $60,000 a day in clean up costs.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=FEMAAid

 

Powered by WorldNow