A warning for space heater users, keep away - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

A warning for space heater users, keep away

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Worth County is Camera Ready

    Worth County is Camera Ready

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:50 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:50:56 GMT
    Karen Rackley, Sylvester-Worth County Chamber of Commerce Executive DirectorKaren Rackley, Sylvester-Worth County Chamber of Commerce Executive Director
    Every county in Georgia is now camera ready.Worth County is one of the final 20 counties that just earned the designation meant to show television and movie producers that local communities are able and willing to help them. More >>
    Every county in Georgia is now camera ready.Worth County is one of the final 20 counties that just earned the designation meant to show television and movie producers that local communities are able and willing to help them. More >>
  • Sylvester city departments remain without phone service

    Sylvester city departments remain without phone service

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:50 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:50:33 GMT
    Bill Yearta, Mayor of SylvesterBill Yearta, Mayor of Sylvester
    All city departments in Sylvester remain without phone service. The phone system went down on Monday at Sylvester City Hall and the police, fire, and public works departments.More >>
    All city departments in Sylvester remain without phone service. The phone system went down on Monday at Sylvester City Hall and the police, fire, and public works departments.More >>
  • When does discipline go too far??

    When does discipline go too far??

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:42 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:42:39 GMT
    Dr. Sinay Edwards, Open Arms Program DirectorDr. Sinay Edwards, Open Arms Program Director
    The arrest of an NFL superstar on child abuse charges raises questions about when discipline goes too far.More >>
    The arrest of an NFL superstar on child abuse charges raises questions about when discipline goes too far.More >>

December 15, 2006

Albany-  In the last month an Albany man was killed and a woman was critically burned because they didn't follow proper safety procedures when it came to space heaters in their homes. 

Friday, Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner John Oxendine issued a warning to south Georgians to make sure they're using these type of heaters correctly. Oxendine said electric space heaters should always have a three prong plug with a ground wire and should never be placed on a table or close to anything else in the room. 

"Simple little mistakes that you don't even think about can cost you your life, and one is that you should always have about three to preferably four feet clear all around a space heater with nothing that can be flammable," said John Oxendine, Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner. 

Oxendine also cautioned residents never to fill a kerosene heater inside and always use a siphon to fill it.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=SpaceHeaterSafety