Rochelle -- A mother trying to stay warm today inadvertantly caused an explosion that killed her toddler and left her in critical condition with severe burns.
Investigators say Nancy Walker poured gas into a wood-burning stove in her mobile home on Cemetery Road in Rochelle around 9:30 Friday morning, causing an explosion.
Flames engulfed the home. Two-year-old Diceasce Walker was killed.
Neighbors who saw the blaze called 911.
"I saw the lady, the momma, come out, she was still burning, and she came out screaming, and she wanted to go back in the house and said she wanted to get her baby. 'My baby's in the house. I want to get my baby. My baby's in the house," said neighbor Mamie Grace.
Walker suffered serious burns on 75% of her body, but EMS workers say Walker was talking and knew what happened when they took her to the hospital.