Possum causes car fire - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Possum causes car fire

November 30, 2006

Moultrie-- Moultrie firefighters were called to an unusual fire at the Shell gas station on North Veterans Parkway Wednesday afternoon. It was the result of a Possum's nest in a car that caught fire on the way to the gas station.

A customer at the station extinguished the fire, but not before the Possum ran from the car and was seen with its fur still smoldering.

"Flames were coming out from under the hood, when the flames came out we noticed the Possum run out, and he was on fire. As he was running off he was still smoldering. The driver did not even realize the car was on fire, he was about to get back into it and grab some stuff out, when one of our customers who was inside getting a sandwich ran outside and got the fire extinguisher and put it out before the fire department actually got here yesterday. The Possum was later found underneath my assistant managers truck, and they had to get it out and release it in the field behind us" said eyewitness Doris Peters.

The Possum was not injured and the vehicle did not sustain any damage as a result of the fire. Firefighters say this time of year, many types of animals seek a warm sheltered place. You should check your vehicles engine compartment regularly to prevent such a problem.  

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=Possum fire


Powered by Frankly