Be careful in the kitchen! - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Be careful in the kitchen!

November 22, 2006

Albany ---  Firefighters say the Thanksgiving Holiday is a dangerous time, because of the increased number of kitchen fires.

The Albany Fire Department says because of the increased amount of cooking going on for the holiday, there is greater potential for fires. They handled more than 150 kitchen fires this year, that caused a half million dollars in damages.

Firefighters say the holiday hustle and bustle, combined with cooking, can lead to disaster.   "They get distracted," said Albany Fire Chief James Carswell. "They leave food cooking on the stove, whether it's to answer the door or the phone or talk to someone.  And the first time they remember the food is when they smell smoke, and by then it may be too late."

Carswell suggests when you are cooking and have to leave the stove, keep a spoon or a hot pad in your hand, so that you will not forget the food.

Firefighters hope you have a happy Thanksgiving, and that they do not have to answer a call to your house to put out a fire.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=KitchenFires/JW