Remodeling work starts house fire - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Remodeling work starts house fire

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Smack down on Cancer at the State Theater

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:54:50 GMT
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
    Wrestlers from all over Georgia and Florida were in town for the Smack Down on Cancer Event at the state theater. More >>
  • Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Americus student honored in statewide design contest

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:59:05 GMT
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South GeorgiaMore >>
    Indira Zelaya, a fourth grader from Sarah Cobb Elementary School in Americus, was honored in Atlanta recently for her artwork supporting Georgia's manufacturing industry.  She was nominated by South Georgia Technical College.More >>
  • Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Swimming pool destroyed after storm

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:32:11 GMT
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. He says he's had the siding redone several times.More >>
    An Albany man arrived home to find his pool completely destroyed. He's not sure what happened, but the wall caved in and the concrete cracked. More >>

October 12, 2006

Albany -- Firefighters say remodeling workers cut a wire by mistake, causing the fire that burned the home of a well known Albany business person to the ground early Thursday morning.

This is all that is left of the Valencia Drive home owned by Mary Helen McCormack Dykes. She's one of the former owners of Bobs Candies. Dykes looked through the rubble of her home of 19 years Thursday morning escorted by fire investigators.

 Dykes had moved everything out of the home so that it could remodeled. Fire Investigators say workers cut a wire with a saw, and it shorted out overnight, sparking the blaze about three AM.

Firefighters estimate the damage at 250-thousand dollars. Dykes said "We are very lucky, because all my belongings were out. So it's just the house. No personal things were lost, no lives were lost, no pets or animals, so I consider myself very fortunate. "

Dykes said she plans to sell the property, and not rebuild.

feedback: news@walb.com?subject=housefire

Powered by WorldNow