Danger alluded, silo fire out - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Danger alluded, silo fire out

September 28, 2006

Thomasville-  A dangerous silo fire that burned for nearly six days is finally out. 

A spark ignited dried wood chips inside this silo at Balfour Lumber Company in Thomasville a week ago Thursday. More than 50 workers had to be sent home and work at the lumber yard had been suspended. It was too dangerous to open the silo to extinguish the fire that burned deep inside, but patience eventually prevailed. 

"We spent about five days with an inch and a half water line on the fire continuously. It smoked the entire time we were trying to put it out until last night. It finally quit smoking," said Bryant Beadles, Balfour Lumber Co. President. 

Crews removed the charred wood Thursday. Crews are now busy reconnecting the silo's equipment. Balfour Lumber expects to resume full production Friday.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=SiloFire

 

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    The Latest: Irma weakens into a tropical depression

    Monday, September 11 2017 3:27 AM EDT2017-09-11 07:27:29 GMT
    Tuesday, September 12 2017 2:42 AM EDT2017-09-12 06:42:09 GMT
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
    Irma weakened to a Category 1 storm as the massive hurricane zeroed in on the Tampa Bay region early Monday after hammering much of Florida with roof-ripping winds, gushing floodwaters and widespread power outages.More >>
  • breaking

    Officials determine deadly Lee Co. fire caused by electrical malfunction

    Officials determine deadly Lee Co. fire caused by electrical malfunction

    Friday, September 22 2017 6:37 PM EDT2017-09-22 22:37:13 GMT

    Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said the cause of a Friday morning house fire in Lee County that killed two elderly women was accidental.

    More >>

    Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said the cause of a Friday morning house fire in Lee County that killed two elderly women was accidental.

    More >>
  • Student leaves ASU after facing financial aid issues

    Student leaves ASU after facing financial aid issues

    Friday, September 22 2017 6:29 PM EDT2017-09-22 22:29:43 GMT
    A young girl left school at Albany State University on Friday. (Source: WALB)A young girl left school at Albany State University on Friday. (Source: WALB)

    It was an emotional Friday for the freshman A'Lauren Camp and her friends she had to say goodbye.  She said she is one of many students who had financial aid issues this year at Albany State University. 

    More >>

    It was an emotional Friday for the freshman A'Lauren Camp and her friends she had to say goodbye.  She said she is one of many students who had financial aid issues this year at Albany State University. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly