Neglected dog finds new home - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Neglected dog finds new home

August 30, 2006

Tifton - A badly injured cocker spaniel, dropped off at the Albany Humane Society last month, is doing better. In fact, Koko has been adopted and is up and running around again. Sadly, though, we still don't know who abused this little dog so terribly.

When we first introduced you to Koko, seven weeks ago, she was a sad, neglected puppy in very bad shape. "It's just sad that people do that," says Karen Kramer.  Sad that someone would lock Koko in a cage, and drop her off at night at the Humane Society. When workers found Koko the next day, the bone of her right hind leg was completely exposed.  Karen says, "If you can't take care of them, find someone who can."

Those "someones" are Alan and Karen Kramer, who came to Koko through a sad story of their own. Their dog of thirteen years had to be put down the same day Koko was found. "I just think that, since that's the same day that Kuddles got put to sleep that she's just an angel," says Karen. Alan adds, "We like to think that things happen for a reason and we feel like there's a lot of that, because it's bizarre how this thing happened."

And a lot has happened to Koko since she was found. She's gone through several surgeries, and her leg was amputated, but now, she's learned to run again, and can even climb stairs. Her surgery was just a few weeks ago.  Karen says, "Dogs are resilient compared to people. She can just go on and say, 'okay, I don't have a leg, but I'll still run and play and love you.' She's not angry." Rather, happy to have a new, loving home.

Karen says, "She's perfect!" A perfect match to her new family. "If you didn't know better, you'd think they were sisters." And now, Koko and Kosmo Kramer are.

"Koko, come here. She usually comes to me. Koko, hey!" Koko still has a few tricks to learn. But the trickiest part, finding a new home, is already over.

A reward of $2500 is still being offered in this animal abuse case.

comments: news@walb.com?subject=KokoTheCockerSpaniel

 

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Couple receives 2017 Tree Stewardship Award

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:37 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:37:43 GMT
    The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)The Strom couple received the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award. (Source: WALB)

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>

    An Albany couple is receiving praise for bringing life to their plantation through nature. Keep Albany Dougherty Beautiful and the Albany Tree Board presented Kay and Walter Strom with the 2017 Tree Stewardship Award on Monday.  

    More >>
  • Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Call for foster parents, orientation Tuesday

    Monday, July 24 2017 4:26 PM EDT2017-07-24 20:26:50 GMT
    Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)Now is the time to attend a foster parent orientation. (Source: WALB)

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>

    The number of foster children in South Georgia is sky high, but the number of foster parents is not. The Lutheran Services of Georgia are helping foster parents get started.  

    More >>
  • Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Grill lighter cause of Ramsey Road fire

    Monday, July 24 2017 3:48 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:48:41 GMT
    Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of the home. (Source: WALB)

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>

    A young boy is believed to have started a fire on Ramsey Road. According to the incident report from the Albany Fire Department, the fire started in the bedroom.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly