Fire destroys elderly woman's home - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire destroys elderly woman's home

August 26, 2006

Albany -- A late-night fire in South Albany heavily damages an elderly woman's home.

Investigators say the fire started at 69-year-old Addie Gibson's home around 11 last night.

Gibson was alone when the fire started at her home on Johnny Williams Road. She told investigators that her electricity was recently cut-off, and she was using candles for a light source."Evidently one of her candles had melted down. She was asleep at the front of the house in the living room area. When she woke up the house was on fire," said AFD Battalion Chief James Sanders.

The fire chief says the candle is the cause of the fire. Firefighters responded and quickly had the flames under control. No one was injured.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=AlbanyFire/NJ