July 26, 2006
Tifton -- One day after a leaking chlorine cylinder was transported from Tifton Aluminum to a gas company called Linde Gas, it sprang a leak again around noon Tuesday.
Firefighters responded to the gas company and evacuated the area. This time no one was taken to the hospital.
The day before, nine employees at Tift Aluminum had to go to the hospital after a the same 150 pound tank of chlorine leaked because of a problem with a valve.
Firefighters trained in Hazmat entered the area and contained the leak. The cylinder was put outside, and firefighters believe the heat blew the protective gas king causing the second leak.
The leak was repaired again and picked up by the manufacturer and will not be used again. No one was seriously injured in either of the leaks.