Employees OK after chlorine exposure - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Employees OK after chlorine exposure

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Missing man with Alzheimer's Disease Found

    Missing man with Alzheimer's Disease Found

    Thursday, July 31 2014 4:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 08:34:46 GMT
    Authorities in Berrien County are searching for a man with Alzheimer's Disease that has gone missing.They say John Bethea was last seen heading south on White Pond Road in Nashville at 11 a.m.More >>
    Authorities in Berrien County are searching for a man with Alzheimer's Disease that has gone missing.They say John Bethea was last seen heading south on White Pond Road in Nashville at 11 a.m.More >>
  • Albany cheerleading team could be on reality show

    Albany cheerleading team could be on reality show

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:42 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:42:06 GMT
    Dr. Latonya Peterson, Assistant CoachDr. Latonya Peterson, Assistant Coach
    An Albany cheerleading team could be featured on a reality show. More than 50 girls tried out to join the two time national champion Albany Elite “Tiger Paws.”More >>
    An Albany cheerleading team could be featured on a reality show. More than 50 girls tried out to join the two time national champion Albany Elite “Tiger Paws.”More >>
  • Veterans to learn about benefits at American Legion event

    Veterans to learn about benefits at American Legion event

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:34 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:34:18 GMT
    William D. Simmons, American Legion 2nd District CommanderWilliam D. Simmons, American Legion 2nd District Commander
    American Legion leaders are preparing for an event to help South Georgia veterans learn more about the benefits they earned. More >>
    American Legion leaders are preparing for an event to help South Georgia veterans learn more about the benefits they earned. More >>

July 24, 2006

Tifton  -- A chlorine gas leak at Tifton Aluminum sends nine employees to the hospital. 

The accident happened around 12:30 this afternoon. Workers at the plant were changing several chlorine cylinders when one of the valves malfunctioned and began leaking. They were unable to shut the valve off.

 The Tifton fire department and e-m-s quickly responded to the scene. The nine workers were evacuated from the building and taken to Tift regional hospital.

"Inhalation of different gases can be a serious thing," said Hospital Spokesperson Stacey Beckham. "But this was a very minor thing. None of the patients were in serious condition."

"First thing is to evacuate the area," said Human Resource Director Kerri Baxter. "Other than the people who are trained to respond to HAZMAT. We get the HAZMAT team in, which is why we call the fire department."

All nine patients have been released from the hospital and are doing fine. The leak was shut off after the HAZMAT team placed a cap on the valve.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=Chlorine/NG