Fire was the fault of wiring - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Fire was the fault of wiring

  • More WALB News10 HeadlinesMore News HeadlinesMore>>

  • Bowl-A-Rama holds Back-to-School Bash

    Bowl-A-Rama holds Back-to-School Bash

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:19 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:19:59 GMT
    James Smith, studentJames Smith, student
    An Albany bowling alley is helping kids have a little fun before they go back to school. Bowl-A-Rama held its first Back-to-School Bash for High School Students in Dougherty, Lee, Mitchell, and Baker Counties. More >>
    An Albany bowling alley is helping kids have a little fun before they go back to school. Bowl-A-Rama held its first Back-to-School Bash for High School Students in Dougherty, Lee, Mitchell, and Baker Counties. More >>
  • Valdosta organization prepares for backpack giveaway

    Valdosta organization prepares for backpack giveaway

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:14 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:14:47 GMT
    Volunteers at Moody Air Force Base pre-packed more than 900 backpacks with school supplies on Friday.More >>
    Volunteers at Moody Air Force Base pre-packed more than 900 backpacks with school supplies on Friday.More >>
  • Sylvester residents gather for National Night Out

    Sylvester residents gather for National Night Out

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:11 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:11:03 GMT
    Scott Vandermolen, Florida residentScott Vandermolen, Florida resident
    A week after 8 teenagers were shot at a party in Sylvester people came together there Friday night to fight crime .A National Night Out celebration was held at Jeffords Park downtown. More >>
    A week after 8 teenagers were shot at a party in Sylvester people came together there Friday night to fight crime .A National Night Out celebration was held at Jeffords Park downtown. More >>

May 15, 2006
by Marcus McConico

Valdosta -- Faulty wiring on a stove is blamed for a South Georgia house fire today. The blaze at a duplex on Colquitt Avenue in Valdosta started about 9:00 this morning.

The fire is believed to have begun around the stove. It spread to the roof, fueled by grease that had accumulated in the exhaust fan above the stove.

Firefighters say this is one area most homeowners forget about when thinking about fire prevention. "In most cases, most people don't do that preventive stuff they need to do in terms of cleaning their exhaust fans," said Valdosta Fire Department Lt. James Williams.

No one was home when the fire started. There is no estimate on the damage.

Feedback: news@walb.com?subject=ValFire/Marcus